Re: [ga] ICANN has posted the proposed Budget for the FY 2005 -2006

  • To: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] ICANN has posted the proposed Budget for the FY 2005 -2006
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 10:32:27 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Subsidy in Charitable context means "donation".

Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Eric and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

Corporate "Subsidies" would remove much of the independence of ICANN
and move it further in the direction of a corporate for profit wholly
owned
subsidiary. Such a capture removes further the individual
stakeholder/users
input and objectivity of ICANN.. I cannot imagine that any meeting with

DOJ would or should include or condone corporate ownership in effect
of ICANN. But perhaps your question eric is best directed to DOJ..

Hugh Dierker wrote:

> Combine that with staffing shortfalls and litigation and you have a
> recipe for failure or perhaps government subisidies, or corporate. Is
> that what the meeting in "secret" with Justice is all about - after
> all we must be sensitive to security.
>
> Jeff Williams wrote:
> Richard and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
> stakeholders/users,
>
> What's more interesting as a supposed 501 [ C3 ] non-profit corp.
> ICANN is supposed to recieve 2/3'rds of it's funding from donations.
> Now I don't believe that "Transaction Fees" are a form of donations
> or legally qualified as such...
>
> Richard Henderson wrote:
>
> > It's interesting that about half of ICANN's total projected income
> is
> > intended to come from the Transaction Based Registrar Fee (in other
> words,
> > paid to ICANN by Registrants when they acquire a domain name) and
> yet
> > nowhere in ICANN's structure do I find an equivalent representation
> of the
> > Registrant constituency, or indeed even the existence of a
> Registrant's
> > constituency.
> >
> > Registrants in the coming year are estimated to be paying ICANN
> (through
> > their Transactions with Registrars) $11,788,252 of ICANN's total
> projected
> > income of $23,453,760.
> >
> > That is a lot of taxation for zero representation.
> >
> > Yrs,
> >
> > Richard H

Pierre Abelard