[ga] Zero proof required to get your .Pro domain through EnCirca?

  • To: "General Assembly of the DNSO" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Zero proof required to get your .Pro domain through EnCirca?
  • From: "Richard Henderson" <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 01:56:31 -0000
  • Cc: "Tim Cole" <cole@xxxxxxxxx>, <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, "vinton g. cerf" <vinton.g.cerf@xxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've received a description of how a .pro domain was gained this month through EnCirca. My correspondent is well known. He mails me as follows:

"I would ask for some discretion. I would prefer that you'd not list my name in conjunction with this.

Straight up, I basically registered four .pros.

There was absolutely no verification performed by Encirca as part of the process. It was simply sign up, pay $49, and 'viola'. "

My contact had been drawn to the EnCirca system by an article here:
http://www.webhostdir.com/news/articles/shownews.asp?id=116433
which then led to here:
http://www.encirca.biz/html/proforwarding.shtmll
which set out how they would get "your domain":

"How EnCirca's ProForwarding Service Works

>>>Your domain is registered in the name of EnCirca's ProForwarding Service, so that we can submit and maintain the professional credentials required for .pro domain names.

>>>You retain the FULL BENEFITS of domain registration. As Admin, Technical and Billing Contact: You can sell, renew or cancel your domain; set-up the nameservers for your domain; and resolve disputes involving your domain.

>>>Domains maintained by EnCirca's ProForwarding service may be transferred in a private sale to a third party at any time. Owner transfer is accomplished via EnCirca's free Account Move utility

>>>EnCirca reserves the right to cancel any registration suspected of trademark infringement,spamming, or other illegal activity. To clarify prohibited use, we have amended the ProForwarding terms as follows:

>>>Licensee may not, in connection with use of the Domain Name, explicitly or implicitly misrepresent professional credentials, including but not limited to levels of training, certification, education, licensing or membership in a professional organization. "

This seems to place the responsibility on the applicant, effectively saying: it's your own fault if you're not who you claim to be.

This is a million light years away from the requirement of the ICANN Registry Agreement that claims should undergo a process of scrutiny to verify them.

In the case of my correspondent, not a single enquiry was made, even of what kind of professional (if any) he was before the name was registered and activated.

I suggest (but leave ICANN to decide) that this was in clear contravention of the ICANN Agreement and specifically Appendix L.

Yrs,

Richard Henderson