Re: [ga] .Pro and the dilution of its professional credentials

  • To: Richard Henderson <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] .Pro and the dilution of its professional credentials
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 08:48:49 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Encirca's Tom Barrett has replied to Tim Cole:  http://www.icann.org/correspondence/barrett-to-cole-16mar05.pdf

Re: EnCirca?s ProForwarding Service

Dear Tim,

EnCirca acknowledges receipt of your email dated March 14, 2005 regarding EnCirca?s new registration service for second level .pro domains.

We want to assure you that EnCirca is registering .pro domain names in full compliance of ICANN and RegistryPro policies. Specifically, all registrants of resolving .pro domains have been authenticated as having valid professional credentials by RegistryPro. Furthermore, we have not received any objections from RegistryPro regarding our ProForwarding service.

Additionally, while we adhere to ICANN?s policy on who can register .pro domain names, we note that there are no provisions in ICANN or RegistryPro contracts relating to the use of .pro domain names. Therefore, EnCirca has developed its own .pro use policy specifically prohibiting the misrepresentation of professional credentials. Nevertheless, we would welcome the opportunity to work with ICANN on the development of an Acceptable Use policy for .pro domain names that would apply to all ICANN registrars.

EnCirca requests a teleconference with ICANN the week of March 21 to discuss your concerns. We would also be amenable to including RegistryPro in these discussions.

Since I will be attending the ICANN meeting in Argentina from April 1-11, I suggest that we schedule to meet while we are all there. At that time, ICANN will be able to inspect any of EnCirca?s registration records that are relevant to this issue.

Sincerely,

Tom Barrett

Personal note:  I have to wonder how the registration of cunt.pro or sluts.pro is "in full compliance of ICANN and RegistryPro policies"...

On the other hand, you can go to sluts.pro (registered by Jothan Frakes) and find a nice snapshot of Paul Twomey in Cape Town...