RE: [ga] Strong Arm Tactics

  • To: "Danny Younger" <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Strong Arm Tactics
  • From: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 14:51:10 -0500
  • Cc: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny:

Until I see the proposed .NET contract which has not yet been posted, I will
withhold any detailed comment. However, I believe you raise a very valid
question, and I share your concern about ICANN adopting different standards
to treat similarly situated parties.

One of the reasons I made ICANN 's Strategic Plan Process a key focus of my
efforts in a potential second term, is that during my many years involved in
the ICANN process I have seen people focus all their efforts to win a single
battle, while unbeknownst to them they were actually losing the bigger war.
As I stated previously, I share your concerns about the apparent
arbitrariness of the .75 cent in connection with other similarly situated
gTLD registries. I believe questions needs to be asked when a draft/final
contract is posted.

I believe the common concern we share is making sure that ICANN does not
stray from its core mission and values. A natural downward pressure to
inhibit mission creep is a limited budget. However, since there is nothing
that would prevent ICANN from imposing this .75 cent on all gTLD registries,
would it not be in the best interest to win the war ("preventing ICANN
mission creep") to focus on meaningful input/enforcement mechanisms with
regard to the Strategic Plan?

Best regards,

Michael D. Palage