Re: [ga] Escrow Concerns

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Danny Younger wrote:

I'd like switch the discussion away from ICANN politics for a moment to raise an at-large issue that has been on my mind for some time: the risk My thanks to Joop and to Bill Nichols for the timely reminder to avoid flaming on this list. to registrants posed by the failure of registrars to escrow data.

The status from when I was on the board was this:

	- Some inadequate formats had been defined.
	- Nobody had bothered to put 'em into play.

The real issue is preservation of registry/registrar business records, in particular the records needed to reconstruct the registry/registrar.

This can be handled by escrow ... or by other mechanisms that I believe will do the same job with less pain to all concerned and with less intrusive regulation.

The mechanism I tend to prefer is to leave the job up to each registry/registrar and have them deliver to ICANN (and to publish to the community) a yearly statement from an independent auditor (one with appropriate expertise) to the effect that the registry/registrar engages in business asset protection policies that are adequate to the reconstruction of the operations after a disaster or financial failure by the registry/registrar or a sucessor.

This audit letter would have to specify not only that are the assets protected by adequate practices but also that there is a sufficient body of documentation and tools, all of which need to be held by a known third party, to recover using no other specialized knowledge, tools, or special hardware (e.g. weirdball tape drives.)

This mechanism takes ICANN out of the preservation loop, allows registries/registrars to tailor the preservation practices to their own needs, allows those practices to evolve (and improve) over time, and let's the public know who is doing well in this regard and who is not.

		--karl--