[ga] The ICANN Contingency Plan

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] The ICANN Contingency Plan
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 10:15:30 -0800 (PST)
  • Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The current ICANN Contingency Plan calls for a 33-person group to ensure continuity of operations in the event that ICANN incurs a severe disruption of operations, or the threat thereof, by reason of its bankruptcy, corporate dissolution, a natural disaster, or other financial, physical or operational event.

Is this a sufficient or an insufficient amount of personnel for disaster management?  Are we satisfied with the form that this Contingency Plan is taking, or should we ask a firm like Gartner to assist in the formulation of a disaster recovery plan? In view of the fact that ICANN Staff did such a lousy job on the preparation of the Strategic Plan, I am worried that the Contingency Plan might equally be poorly drafted.  Is anyone attending to escrow considerations?  There have been presentations made to the GAC, to ARIN, and to CENTR on this issue, but I don't believe it has yet been addressed in the GNSO.  Perhaps we should begin to gather our thoughts on this topic.

The Executive Stability Committee (ExStabCom) will include an appointed "eminent person", the Chair of SESAC, the ICANN CFO, and an independent auditor.

The Emergency Names and Addressing Committee (ENAC) will consist of:

? 1 GAC representative member from each region,

? 1 appointed representative of each GNSO constituency,

? 1 appointed ALAC representative from each region,

? 2 appointed ASO representatives,

? 1 appointed ccNSO representative from each region,

? 1 root-server operator,

? 1 representative from ICANN?s Technical Liaison Group,

? SSAC Chair and 2 SSAC members,

? 1 representative from Internet Architecture Board.

The ENAC is to assist ExStabCom to execute ICANN?s technical and operational functions and to assist the ExStabCom to form a replacement/reformed entity.

Sources for the above information:  http://www.centr.org/docs/2004/11/centr-ga24-verhoef-icanncontingency.pdf and http://www.arin.net/library/minutes/ARIN_XIV/PDF/Wednesday/ICANN_Twomey.pdf and http://www.icann.org/meetings/kualalumpur/captioning-public-forum-23jul04.htm