RE: [ga] Re: [apnic-talk] [Apnic-announce] AfriNIC Moving Closer to Final Recognition as an RIR

  • To: Bill Nichols <Bnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Re: [apnic-talk] [Apnic-announce] AfriNIC Moving Closer to Final Recognition as an RIR
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 14:41:18 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: Paul Wilson <pwilson@xxxxxxxxx>, apnic-talk@xxxxxxxxx, secretariat@xxxxxxxxx, General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Kathy Smith <KSMITH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ruchika Agrawal <agrawal@xxxxxxxx>, Robin Layton <RLayton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ranjit de Silva <rdesilva@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Paul Twomey <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, Jinan Jaber <jjaber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, jim@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Excuse me for being so bold but some points have been raised by Mr. Nichols that are at the core of problems we have regarding Internet Governance. The first and foremost is how we deal with the problems we face. I speak of both the language we use and the noncomprehensible way in which we draw lines of demarcation in debate. Let us take; spamming, whois, privacy and free speech and server capacity. Seemingly quite different issues but all so interwoven that nothing therein exceeds the scope of discussion rightfully within just one of the subjects. If you can look at those subjects as applied to the Internet and see them as seperate issues then you are clearly blind.

Try this run on sentence on for size; Spam is mostly derived through data basis that require the divulsion of private information in order to obtain services or gather information such as the whois farms kept in registrars of domain names which names are obtained for the specific purpose of excercising free speech but when the data base  gatherers use the spam in such ways to create overloading of server capacities they run the inherint risk of damaging the security, accesability and reliability of the net, which can only be avoided implementing developing technology and reducing risk by invoking legislative authority to regulate and control the international use of spaming.

Certainly in that sentence I left out necessary issues of jurisdiction, taxation, liability, ecommerce, tariffs, censorship, monopolies, transparency in process and representation.

To say that something is outside the scope of dialogue in addressing the increasing problems we face is to become ostriches and burrow our heads even further into the sand.

On the other hand it is extremely useful to take ones own mission and goals, state them openly and transparently and then address all of the matters from the perspection of the clear bias of the platform. I ask all of you to be more clear in your motivations and not shut the door on matters that are more difficult to address or not in your own best interests.

Dr. Eric Hugh Dierker, Dierker Consultancy