Re: [ga] VeriSign to auction deleting domains!

  • To: sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] VeriSign to auction deleting domains!
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 15:52:28 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello,

--- Sotiris Sotiropoulos <sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> George Kirikos wrote:
> > names handling process, which facilitates an open auction during
> the
> > pending delete period.
>
> What is so terrible about this?  I think this will serve to make
> coveted
> memorable domains even more dear. After all, nobody is born into this
> world with any guarantees.

They don't own the domains -- they're a public resource, with a
contracted price of $6/yr. Why not have the public housing managers
start auctioning off units, next, since there are 20,000+ waiting
lists?

> To think that any self-concerned business entity ought simply to
> allow
> for the sale of something at less than could be gotten for it, is a
> little too red for my tastes, even if I am a Canadian.

I'm true blue -- I want the surplus left for the consumer, not
VeriSign.

> > I wonder if they'll be using the same survey company that showed
> > "everyone loved SiteFinder"??
> >

> George, just because you didn't happen to find it helpful does not
> mean
> that it wasn't.  Do you have any hard statistical evidence to the
> contrary insofar as SiteFinder was concerned?

Spend a day reading http://www.whois.sc/verisign-dns/ and the almost
20,000 people who took the time to sign it and leave comments. Read
NANOG, too, or other websites/blogs where discussion was active.

http://www.google.com/search?num=30&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&c2coff=1&q=sitefinder+evil&btnG=Search

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/