[ga] Amsterdam Meeting on ICANN Strategic Plan

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] Amsterdam Meeting on ICANN Strategic Plan
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 07:12:09 -0800 (PST)
  • Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear colleagues,

I would welcome hearing from other Councilors who
might join a small planning team all to advance
finalizing of the provisional agenda, noted below.
Please reply offlist to me, and to Glen regarding your
interest. I?ve already had a volunteer or two and
greatly appreciate those offers of planning and
organizing assistance.

Regarding the meeting notice:  Glen will be posting
this notice to the liaison list. If you can also
encourage distribution within your constituencies,
that would be much appreciated.  Please email me and
Glen with questions. We are still finalizing with the
hotel arrangements, but want to advance the program
agenda as well as quickly as possible.

Regards, Marilyn Cade

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meeting to develop comments on ICANN Strategic Plan

Amsterdam, 7-8 February 2005

The presently posted ICANN Strategic Plan outlines the
strategic directions for ICANN for a three year
period. Like all strategy documents, it needs to be
analyzed and understood in conjunction with other
relevant documents, such as the ICANN budget. It
provides insight into changes in ICANN?s scope, scale,
funding base, and activities. It helps to position
ICANN for a post-WSIS and post-MOU world with an
increased  budget, regional offices, an extensive
workshop initiative, and outreach activities to
developing countries. Other changes include a proposed
shift of funding from reliance on registrars as the
primary aggregators of funds to a more centralized
collection via the registries, with an increase in the
amount of money collected per domain name, in order to
provide a stable foundation for ICANN.

The Strategic Plan, as drafted, creates the same kind
of scope and scale of change that the Evolution and
Reform Process did, and deserves full consideration
and review by the community.

MEETING NOTICE

The gNSO Council has approved the organization of a
meeting to develop comments on the ICANN Strategic
Plan by interested attendees from the constituencies.

The meeting may also include guests from the At Large,
other SOs or the community who have indicated an
interest in attending.

The purpose of the meeting is to ensure that the
constituencies of the gNSO/liaisons have an
opportunity to review, analyze, and develop comments
on the ICANN Strategic Plan. This meeting does not
replace the opportunity for any individual, or any
constituency to post ongoing comments during the ICANN
public comment process.
www.icann.org/strategic-plan/strategic-plan.html  --
this link provides information on the Strategic Plan,
and how to submit individual comments. NOTE: Comments
are due February 28, 2005.

The ICANN staff has also indicated their plans to
offer teleconferences with each constituency, and this
meeting is not intended to replace that consultation.

Details of the Meeting: February 7-8, in Amsterdam,
Netherlands, Sheraton at the Airport.

Provisional Agenda:

Monday, February 7: 1:00 p.m. -  5.30pm.

Overview of Strategic Plan by ICANN staff

Presentation/Comments by scheduled contributors

Open Mike for participants for further comments

Adjourn

Small volunteer teams to work Monday evening to
synthesize comments received.

Tuesday, February 8, 8:30-12:30 p.m.

 8:45 a.m. ? 10:30 a.m. Presentation of comments
received/contributions from Monday?s session by small
working teams.

10:45 a.m. ? 12:00 p.m. Consolidation of
contributions.

12:30 p.m.  Adjourn

Space is presently scheduled for 50-60 attendees for
both meetings, on a first-come, first-served basis. We
will make reasonable efforts to address additional
requests to attend, should we have over-subscription.

You can register for the meeting by sending an email
to Glen de St. Gery, gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
Be sure to indicate which day/or both that you will
attend. If you cannot attend in person, but want to
dial in, please advise Glen of which days you will
want to participate. We expect to offer dial in on 2/7
for the portion of the meeting that involves
presentations and are exploring dial in for February 8
in terms of ensuring that remote participants can hear
effectively and participate.

If you would like to prepare a submission or comments
to present during Day One of the meeting, please let
Glen know.  There will be a deadline for submitting at
least an outline of your talking points if you wish to
make a presentation, so that the schedule can be
managed, and materials posted to those who are
participating remotely.

Contributions in this segment on day 1 can be short
statements, proposals for changes in particular
segments of the Strategic Plan; or suggestions on how
to achieve a particular outcome described in the
Strategic Plan. Comments from the participants in
attendance will be accommodated as well, but to have
the full scope of your contribution understood and
incorporated, providing written comments will help
those attempting to capture your contribution and
incorporate it.

For purpose of finalizing the agenda and plans, a
small group of councilors from the gNSO are working
together. You can provide comments and suggestions to
them by emailing the gNSO Secretariat, as noted above.

We look forward to seeing you in Amsterdam.

Marilyn Cade