Re: [ga] potential IDN issue with Greek language

  • To: sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] potential IDN issue with Greek language
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 05:28:22 -0800 (PST)
  • Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Forgive me Sotiris as I am not familiar with modern Greek custom and practise with regards to trademarks and use of cases. Would pLAto be a different mark than PLaTo. I could see a confusion, but I can also see a distinction. Would search engines arrive at different results?
Here I had a Viet American client that argued LeGo which is the common name in Vietnamese Le and Go which is common for difficult, had a very distinct and different meaning than Lego the toy, etc. etc. (not enough funds to press the issue) but the casings seem to be a point of distinction combined with the ethnic branding. How would that work in this Greek Model? And then what do they do with proper names like Sotiris that have been transferred into English and then back again. If it is SOTIRIS does it come out differently?
I like the ancient definition of a Mark, which was never mere letters but something you put together distinctively like the cursive for coca cola, now unlike Coca Cola that is a mark. When a man would use his wax seal or had a distinctive X binding himself and family - now those were marks. So if that is how it is in Greek in seems reasonable. But if cases mean nothing to the eye then it sounds arbitrary and capricious.

Eric

Sotiris Sotiropoulos <sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have observed the following (what I believe to be) shortcoming in the
functioning of the IDN standard(s) as applied to the Greek language. It
appears that one can register a name in lower case Greek characters, and
then still be able to go ahead and register the same name in capital
letters separately. Of course, this also means that one can register
mixed capital variations of a name as well. Methinks this is not
something to be desired by potential IDN registrants in the non-ascii
Greek language.

Sotiris Sotiropoulos

--
This email includes a valid digital signature which positively
distinguishes the sender and serves to ensure that the message has not

begin:vcard
fn:Sotiris Sotiropoulos
n:Sotiropoulos;Sotiris
email;internet:sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx