Re: [ga] A Corporation without Members or Annual Meetings

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] A Corporation without Members or Annual Meetings
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2005 23:26:20 -0800
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Kathy Smith <KSMITH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Paul Twomey <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Eric and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

  You drawing of comparison has often been considered as you know Eric.
ICANN does not seem to be "Legit" from a number of aspects that have
been and are still considered business norms, and a few required
business
regulations.  Yet it is only truly responsible to DOC/NTIA via contract.

However we have seen, documented and pointed out a number of issues
and conditions or situations where ICANN has been in violation of those
contracted requirements to DOC/NTIA which is ultimately responsible
to the US citizens/stakeholders/users/public...  Yet these violations of

ICANN's contract to DOC/NTIA have most often been ignored, or
not addressed.  This gives pause and concern that you seem to be
addressing in an indirect manner.  Such concerns that remain less than
adequately addressed or otherwise ignored are in effect causing
significant
ecommerce damage that need not be occurring...

Hugh Dierker wrote:

>    I got to wondering just what kind of thing this ICANN was. It does
> not file necessary tax forms.
> It holds no annual meetings in a home base;
> http://www.icann.org/meetings/ It does not come up on the California
> Secretary of State website as being incorporated.
> It states that it is this; "What is ICANN?
>
> The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) is
> responsible for managing and coordinating the Domain Name System (DNS)
> to ensure that every address is unique and that all users of the
> Internet can find all valid addresses. It does this by overseeing the
> distribution of unique IP addresses and domain names. It also ensures
> that each domain name maps to the correct IP address.
>
> ICANN is also responsible for accrediting the domain name registrars.
> "Accredit" means to identify and set minimum standards for the
> performance of registration functions, to recognize persons or
> entities meeting those standards, and to enter into an accreditation
> agreement that sets forth the rules and procedures applicable to the
> provision of Registrar Services."
>
> It appears to be immune from US homeland security employment
> requirements, it has not filed for waivers with the department of
> labor. It donates money to the UN. It charges millions of people and
> millions of dollars for services. It has no membership or
> stockholders. It engages in interstate commerce, and international
> commerce. It meets regularly in geographical/political areas that are
> being sanctioned by the international community.
>
> I sure would like to know what is the difference between this group
> and the modern day Mafia. (excluding violence I think)
>
> Eric

    Pierre Abelard

E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Registered Email addr with the USPS