Re: [ga] Policy Needed

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Policy Needed
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:38:28 -0700
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Danny and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakehohlders/users,

  This very issue has been discussed and debated several times before.
The same set of problems exist as you rightly point out, as the have
existed for some time [ Years now? ] and no real interest by ICANN,
nor the secondary domain name market has been shown to address
this and other related issues...

  Therefore I and all of our members can only reasonably conclude
that yet another session in addressing this and related issues will
likely meet with basically the same arguments and same conclusions...

Danny Younger wrote:

>    The Registrar Accreditation Agreement (section 4.2) indicates that
> new and revised specifications and policies may be established on the
> topic of ?prohibitions on warehousing of or speculation in domain
> names by registries or registrars?; I ask that the Names Council
> initiate a Policy Development Process on this topic in view of recent
> events first noted in the ICANN Advisory ?Registrar Expired Name
> Market Developments? posted 21 September 2004.
>
> At issue:  If registrants fail to renew their domain names at the
> conclusion of an expiration grace period, certain registrars are
> planning to auction the rights to these domain names, instead of
> allowing them to ?drop back into the pool? of names available for
> re-registration on a first-come, first-served basis, as is currently
> the process.
>
> Discussion on this issue has already begun in the At-Large Forum and
> on the Registrars Discussion List wherein it has already been noted by
> the Registrars Constituency Chair that ?registrars are modifying their
> contracts to take over the ownership of the name after expiry; the
> registrant has changed, and the registrar is themselves the new
> registrant.?
>
> I see an effort designed to thwart the implementation of the Expired
> Domain Deletion Policy which is scheduled to commence 21 December
> 2004.  A policy is needed to deal with these developments.
>
> Thank you for considering this matter.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Danny Younger

    Pierre Abelard