[ga] gTLDs and Policy

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] gTLDs and Policy
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 06:02:59 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Perhaps those involved in other disciplines do not understand what policy does.
Here is an example; The Policy of one Govs' current administration is that people do better with their own money than government. That policy gets acted upon and taxes get reduced and some government services get cut and people have more money in their discretionary pocket. The same for businesses. Now the idea being that with more money people will spend it and with that jobs must be created to fulfill the service and goods demands etc etc.

What is referred to here would be a result of a policy that would somehow encourage such things as "flooding the market for address verifiers with good code that people can just take and use". That policy would be possibly; liasoning with suppliers of verifiers with good code and encouraging interfacing with existing market controllers to create an atmosphere of synergy to produce investment and stability and confidence in those willing to risk in order to accomplish such a task. This would be the result of a larger "mission statement" or broader Policy which was to help and assist trade groups and Gov's to understand needs and provide legislated incentives to coordinate and develop industries toward more sustainable internet growth.

Think of policy as the nourishment for the development of adolescent ideas in order that they may mature rather than suffer from conditionally caused arrested development.

Eric

On 2004-10-26 20:26:05 -0700, Danny Younger wrote:

> If you are concerned by the policy aspects of this issue and are
> not currently a Constituency member, I would suggest that you
> contact an ICANN Advisory Committee (such as the ALAC) that can
> begin a policy-development process in the GNSO Names Council by
> calling for creation of an Issue Report -- they might actually be
> pleased to get some mail from a member of the public, and it
> might be nice to actually see them doing something other than
> preparing new nesting grounds for ISOC chapters :)

FWIW, this is a battle against _JavaScript and VB c0derz who don't
know what they are doing, and certainly won't care about ICANN
policies or RFCS.

As I said earlier, what this problem needs is flooding the market
for address verifiers with good code that people can just take and
use. You won't solve this problem on the policy level.

--
Thomas Roessler · Personal soap box at .