[ga] RFC s/gTLDs

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] RFC s/gTLDs
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 10:59:36 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In reviewing the matter of RFCs it appears that in general RFCs are a technical aspect regarding protocol subjects in how systems work in a mechanical manner.

I see these as important tools for guiding legal and contractual minds in determining standards of industry in order to help understand whether or not a party is in compliance with reasonable non negligent behavior within what is customary in the trade.

However, not really. The RFCs are not practice oriented they are Ivory Tower oriented. They seem to reflect what problems there are and intellectual solutions to the problems.
I do not recognize; Social, Economic, Moral, Ethical, conflict of laws, Jurisdiction considerations going into these RFCs.
An example is when I was looking into the gTLD concerns and the new list;
http://forum.icann.org/lists/tld-acceptance/msg00002.html
There does not seem to be appropriate practical policy guidance here. I suppose ccTLDs are sovereign and sacrosanct. But why would RFCs be different for them?

Eric