Re: [ga] Re: [Politech] Panel says that American Univ. students can use BenLadner.com domain [fs]

  • To: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Declan McCullagh <declan@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Re: [Politech] Panel says that American Univ. students can use BenLadner.com domain [fs]
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 05:50:09 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Paul Twomey <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, "ICANN Gen. Council" <general-counsel@xxxxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

As an alumni and one time adjunct I am quite interested in this concept and depressed at Ladner.
My days there were once under Pierre Salinger in Paris and during the fall of the Berlin Wall in Mexico, DF.  So of course we were not then concerned with a name similar to Bin Laden, perhaps that is who should have complained here.
American University has a huge legacy of spreading free speech throughout the world. The whole context of the need is based as a countermeasure to Americanization and corruption of free speech via copywrites and trandemarks. We espouse intellectual freedom as opposed to pervasive intellectual property rights. It is where throughout the world we teach what we do not always practice. For this President to complain about such a site is to epitomize irony and satyre.
This is clear proof that the capitalists are leading free speech around by a ring through the nose.
OTOH. It is really quite cool to see the president in full regalia and righteousness defending his own good name and honor. The sad point as Mr. Williams points out, is that in a proper venue with proper allegations and reasonably competent council, Mr. Ladner would have won his day. Not sad for free speech but sad that a leader of such a great university could do no better and could not find alumni with better training and expertise.

But of course we are all pleased at the outcome. Free speech flourishes, any press is good press and academia has shown a civilized solution to an emotional problem. I am well pleased that the University stayed out of the matter.
Of course I also recommend the website for anyone interested in issues of Internet Governance and interfacing with firmly established regimes.

Sincerely,
Eric Dierker

Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Declan and all,

Well it yet again seems that ICANN's misguided dispute policy has
shown that again patents on proper names claiming to be "Famous"
as in this complaint which was not proven or substantiated, shows
that over aggrandizement of the Complainant , one Benjamin Ladner,
American University president show's fully how such a policy
represents an unnecessary invasion of freedom of expression and
also a loss of right by the Complainant's reputation.

It may be that the complainant should have sought redress via
other legal means such as slander, unless the information of the
web page in question did not meet the legal standard well enough
to seriously consider such a remedy...

Pierre Abelard

United States v. Carroll Towing (159 F.2d 169 [2d Cir. 1947]
IDNS. div. of Information Network Eng. INEG. INC.
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Registered Email addr with the USPS
Contact Number: 214-244-4827