Re: [ga] Why ICANN should publish Miriam Sapiro's report

  • To: Richard Henderson <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Why ICANN should publish Miriam Sapiro's report
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 15:49:43 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, twomey@xxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Correlation does not causation make. However if I were a betting man I would look into this rize of the alac and the manipulation of postings for answers.
I note here with some regret that it most assuredly would not be "published" or "republished" by ICANN. These happen to be terms of art in the legal sense of defamation (slander & libel).  However such a thing could be "posted" as speech of another on a non-edited list. The liability factors here are enourmous.

Here is but one more reason for an open GA and GA list. Here is where it should be posted and commented on with appropriate cc's to our representatives in and out of government, constituencies and ICANN.

Eric

Richard Henderson <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Eric,

Miriam Sapiro stated in her presentation at the ICANN Kuala Lumpur meeting (22nd July) that she had submitted the report "Evaluation of the New gTLDs: Policy and Legal Issues" to ICANN the week before. This report had been commissioned by the ICANN Board and therefore it was presumably submitted direct to the Board in both paper and electronic formats.

The point is: don't *all* the constituencies involved with ICANN and internet governance have an interest in this review of what went right and wrong with the "proof of concept" new gTLDs, in order to participate in policy development to safeguard future expansion of the namespace?

This report should be published immediately.

Richard H