[ga] SnapNames switches to auction-based system....is WLS dead?

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] SnapNames switches to auction-based system....is WLS dead?
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 14:58:59 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi folks,

According to the interim page at http://www.snapnames.com/ :

"To SnapNames Customers:

Over the course of the past year, the domain name marketplace has
changed dramatically. Accordingly, SnapNames has elected to update the
way we capture deleting domain names and make them available to you.

Effective immediately:

    * Our back-order service will require no up-front fee. You can
back-order valuable domain names at no charge.
    * You pay a success fee only if we successfully acquire a domain
name for you.
    * In the event of multiple back-orders for the same domain name,
we'll conduct a short auction, and the winning bidder will be awarded
the name.

Customers with existing SnapBack® subscriptions will, of course,
receive credit for their subscriptions. For more information, please
see our FAQ section."

I hope that it's true that the abusive and monopolistic WLS is dead,
and competition wins. It's nice to be on the winning side. :)

Although, there hasn't been a litigation update in a while at:

http://www.icann.org/general/litigation.htm

regarding the VeriSign suit. Perhaps the evil empire isn't dead just
yet....

A hint to Verisign -- you could have hired me as a consultant, to see
what's non-abusive, and saved your money on lost causes, as I wouldn't
have been a "yes man", like the many you seem to employ at present.

1) WLS --- dead.
2) SiteFinder -- dead.
3) What's next? :)

Sincerely,