[ga] ICANN Budget

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] ICANN Budget
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 08:17:51 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Membership.

I was looking through all the "dues" I have paid to non-profit orgs.  Nature Conservancy, Sierra Club, Church, Hospital Auxillary, Feed a Child.  And then I looked at all my subscription fees, Posts and Tribunes and Websites.
And I said to myself, "Why doesn't ICANN do the same thing and correct the budget deficit that they will have over the next year". None of the above deny contribution of energy, time or opinion to non-members. It does not make it an exclusive club. People contribute because they believe in the purpose and derive some benefit out of their society doing better. It is also tax deductible. And you can put it on your resume. Amounts can vary and only the fact that you are a card carrying member is known.
Economic capture is not present in the above mentioned non-profit orgs, so why would it be here.