Re: [ga] Got a virus, Ken?

Richard,

This is a widely known spam virus that uses forged headers. I wish I had a nickel for every one of these I've received, supposedly from people I know. I've even received it in my own account inboxes (multiple accounts) where the from was from my other accounts (obviously forged). It's a pain because you are not certain the supposed sender has the virus or not, yet if everyone sent a notice to forged sender addresses, it would serve to increase the amount of traffic generated by the spam itself. Catch 22.

Regards,

Leah

Richard Henderson wrote:

I know I've sometimes expressed concerns about Ken Stubbs association
with ICANN and how I wondered if that created a conflict of interest
at the time that he headed up Afilias's (successful) application for
the .info registry... but... I think this virus-laden message I
received today was probably sent unwittingly from your computer, and
I just want to advise you and the members of this list who may also
be in your address book that you seem to have a virus Ken which is
sending out very plausible messages to people making them think they
are about to lose their e-mail accounts for improper use and tempting
them to 'open up' the accompanying document. A phone call to my
e-mail provider confirmed that this message purporting to come from
them was not from them at all. So please be careful if any of you
receive a message like this one below:

Tue, 6 Apr 2004 11:33:05 +0100