Re: [ga] Thought provokcing post as WSIS forum/diffusion

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Thought provokcing post as WSIS forum/diffusion
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 13:48:30 -0800 (PST)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Diffusion.

Make no mistake these are very good forums.  I very much like the richness as brought about by second and third english as language writers. But I warn against what ICANN board Ester, TR, Pindar brought about.

One product may grab your attention, but when you are faced with 46 SUVs to pick from sometimes you just buy a fuel efficient car.

Together we stand and divided we fall, was not written regarding infighting but a division of forces, Custer and the Light Brigade and Genghis Kahn would have done well to ignore this wisdom. That said, the more concentrated the light the more intense its resilience.

On the one hand, it is clear that provincial or state or local community based groupings are best designed to fashion and enforce rules than are large centralized governance concepts of cadres. Jurisdiction is found upon the wandering into the space controlled by such small units. Protection of the commoner is found where one voice may really count.

On the other hand, the attention, large resources and the very aloofness that stifles the individual creates a more consensual standard making group when it is large, or worldwide.  Faulty politics and greed and avirice are only highlighted in high pressure highly amoral type settings.  On some of the very forums you pointed us to, the standard of censorship would never meet international standards, yet even Andrew M. made it clear content cannot be censored within ICANN.  I know that the GA is an example of wrongdoing in that regard.  But the rule was set.

My point being that, yes, if you want ICANN to set the rules - forget about it.  If you want smaller less recognized forums to really contribute to the setting and coordinating of standards, come up with excellence and it is possible.

Babtista, Flemming, Walsh, Williams, Morfin, Lane Sotiris, Younger and many more left undeniable marks and are still with us. Many simply are still about and still working great sites, Michael and Brett and Judith.  Many were caught in the glare and extended themselves too far too fast, Joop and fitug come to mind. But one thing stands out. The successful longterm committers to a better future are still here and still working at it in many venues.

Back a lifetime ago, when I was punching doggies for a living up on the Montana Canadian border, if there was one bull getting a good following we would cut him from the herd, where he could not help get a stampede going that us few hands could not handle. Well ICANN sure did a good job of cutting most the bulls out of this stakeholder herd. Oh don't worry we eventually let him back in the herd, but he was no longer a bull. ;-(

Leah G <jandl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
http://www.wsis-online.net/igov-forum/forums/message-view?message_id=349586

--
Leah G.