[ga] Re: "Alternative roots": a big technical failure

On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 01:20:41AM +0100,
 J-F C. (Jefsey)  Morfin <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
 a message of 165 lines which said:

> I went to open roots and wrote Best Practices with Pascal Bernhard
> for Root Administrators and TLD Mangers,

I would be glad to read such a document if it really exists. RFC 2870
is too short, and a bit outdated, I believe. But it is not yet
completely implemented by ICANN/USG.

> Thank you not to be afraid to tell you use OSRC at home.  I suggest
> you try ORSN too. Strictly ICANN like root for Europe.

Following your advice, I just switched to ORSN
<URL:http://www.orsn.net/>.

At first, I noticed two *mandatory* things that were missing in ORSC
but present in ORSN:

1) In the hint file, a description of the owners of the various name servers,
as well as their contact email (I was unable to reach the real responsible of
k.root-servers.orsc, it is not written anywhere, I relied on ARIN).

2) A public monitoring system (something that is also missing in ICANN/USG,
BTW).