Re: [ga] Re: [cctld-discuss] ALCA y Dominios (o Alca Reloaded)

  • To: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Re: [cctld-discuss] ALCA y Dominios (o Alca Reloaded)
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 20:58:04 -0800
  • Cc: Erick Iriarte Ahon <faia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, alac-admin@xxxxxxxxx, General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Karl, Erick, parricio and all former DNSO GA members or other interested
stakeholders/users,

  The concept of what is now, and has been the UDRP was not conceived
in the interests of any and all stakeholders/users. Rather as many of us here
know it's sorted history, was conceived and imposed in the interests of
Special interest groups mostly made up of large IP interests...

Karl Auerbach wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, Patricio Poblete wrote:
>
> > The proposed FTAA-ALCA text is very similar to the initial
> > US proposal in the Chile-US FTA talks. After negotiations, the final
> > agreed text was:
> >
> >       Each Party shall require that the management of its country-code
> >       top level domain (ccTLD) provide an appropriate procedure for
> >       the settlement of disputes, based on the principles established
> >       in the Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution Policy (UDRP),
> >       in order to address the problem of trademark cyber-piracy.
>
> It seems odd to me that after all the complaints about United States
> hegemony over much of the internet that the makers of this text are so
> quick to bind all nations to the globilization Lexus (as in "Lexus and the
> Olive Tree") mentality that underlies the UDRP.
>
> It is possible perhaps that some nations and societies might value human
> names, names of churches, names of deities, names of cities, names of
> social organizations, and their geographic place names above the names
> used by commercial organizations to label their goods and services.
>
> Any country that blindly adheres to the "principles established in the
> Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution Policy (UDRP)" is simply handing a
> piece of its sovreignty over to intellectual property bar of the United
> States and western Europe.
>
> I would hope that operators of country codes realize that they need not
> sell their nations into subordinate and dependent status under the
> intellectual property regimes of the USA and EU.
>
> It is fine if a country decides, through a fully informed decisionmaking
> process, decide to bind itself to these principles.  However it would be
> very sad if cc-TLD operators, as real or effective representatives of
> their nations, were to simply follow the UDRP without allowing the
> political processes of their respective nations reach their own
> conclusions.
>
>                 --karl--

    Pierre Abelard

E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801