Re: [ga] Good work by GNSO on sTLDs

  • To: <jandl@xxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Good work by GNSO on sTLDs
  • From: "Richard Henderson" <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 00:57:04 -0000
  • Cc: <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thomas,

Leah's responses are exactly my fears, and the concerns expressed by many of
our members at IcannAtLarge (for example when polled about ALAC and the
RALOs).

ALAC has no credibility, and so there's no incentive to join.

Stuart Lynn branded ICANN's public forums "a joke" - that's how seriously
Paul Twomey's predecessor took the public forums... now they don't even work
at all (even though the webmaster was notified about this some time ago).

Constituents want to represent themselves by their own votes, not have some
organisation vote for them. That's how a bottom up individuals constituency
should work, surely?

I'm not sure I can see the ICANN Board granting half their seats to At Large
representatives (though it's a fair argument given the millions of users,
compared to a few hundred registrars etc)... but ICANN would certainly need
to restore, say, 2 seats to elected At Large members in order to start
winning the confidence of At Large members that it is worth participating in
the ICANN structure. At the moment, there's very little interest in ALAC for
this very reason: people don't feel they'll be able to determine their own
constituency by individual vote, or vote for their own representatives...
and people don't believe that ICANN is sincere about including the At Large
voice, when it has already sacked the At Large from the Boardroom and
expelled the At Large's elected representatives.

I appeal to the ICANN leadership to revisit the whole issue of (a) elected
representation as the mandatory model within ALAC; and (b) restoring at
least 2 elected At Large Board members.

Thank you.

Richard Henderson