Re: [ga] European At Large meeting announcement (today)

  • To: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] European At Large meeting announcement (today)
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 18:04:34 -0800
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Karl and all former DNSO GA members or other interested stakeholders/users,

Karl Auerbach wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Vittorio Bertola wrote:
>
> > >.... The ALAC lists are almost dead. Contrast the thousand +
> > >posts sent each month on the legacy At Large lists, the active elections,
> > >the genuine involvement bottom up.
> >
> > Could you also contrast the number of policy-related statements,
> > interventions, presentations and documents that the ALAC produced in the
> > last six months with the number of those produced by all the At Large
> > efforts in the previous three years?
>
> There is no doubt that a portion of the ALAC core leadership are people
> who write good position statements that are well thought out and well
> articulated.  I am glad of that.  However, those positions are largely
> created by the authors without the benefit of approval by any large body
> of voters.  That is not necessarily a bad thing - it is the way that
> representative systems work.

 Well good representative systems such as was made an example in
the gov's recall election indicated DOES require that representatives
of voters/public/persons to whom they purport to represent have the
approval of those that voted said representatives into the positions
that they represent from.  This is NOT what is done via the ALAC.
Hence, it has not elected representatives that represent stakeholders/users.

>  The issue with the ALAC is that it takes the
> concept of representation to a degree in which the link between an
> individual and ICANN's decisions is exceedingly tenuous and diluted,
> particulary when compared with the fast-track and relative direct access
> given to select commercial groups.

  I good understatement here Karl.  NONE of the self style ALAC
representatives were elected by any stakeholders/users and therefore
are not representatives in any stretch of the imagination.

> And, by-the-way, I consider the literally hundreds of things I wrote and
> said during my term to reflect the needs and positions of my constituents
> (and I was elected by a direct vote) in ICANN's Mexico-less North American
> region.

  I do too!  Ane mostly, well done! >:)

>                 --karl--

    Pierre Abelard
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801