Re: [ga] ICANN Board postponing further sTLDs

  • To: richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] ICANN Board postponing further sTLDs
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <ploki_xyz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:05:40 +0000
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am for the introduction of new TLDs, as commented many times here and everywhere.
But I also deeply disagree with the previous plan, that was restricting the game to the ones that had already presented proposals: had the board gone that way, we would have waited another 3 years to have a gTLD (unsponsored).
Please be aware that I am not defending the delays, I think we are dramatically late, but the question is, in my view, whether to start a process of indroducing new TLDs that have any chance to change the market picture or to limit ourselves to a couple of sTLDs every 2-3 years.
I am not interested at all in the second option.
Incidentally, I do believe that had we introduced several TLDs years ago, VGRS would not have been in the dominant market position that allowed it to introduce the wildcard.
My problem is that, the more time we lose in completing this process and open the doors to TLDs, the more the same existence of new TLDs will become irrelevant for the market. Years ago new TLDs could have provided an alternative and richness of opportunities, while now it seems to me that the market identifies "gTLD" with ".com".

Regards
Roberto