Re: [ga] Verisign to revive redirect service

  • To: John Berryhill <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Verisign to revive redirect service
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 17:30:55 -0700
  • Cc: "[GA]" <ga@xxxxxxxx>, "Howard C. Berkowitz" <hcb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

John and all former DNSO GA members or other interested stakeholders/users,

John Berryhill wrote:

> > > Is there anything to stop the root server operators from just DELETING
> > > the wildcard entry out of the zone files provided by Verisign?
> >
> > There is much to stop the root server operators from doing that.  The
> > reason is that the wildcard setting is in the .com zone, not in the root
> > zone.
>
> Of course, there is nothing stopping the root server operators from taking
> wildcarding to the next logical level - using a wildcard record in the root
> zone in order to direct traffic to a search page in response to things like
> "icann.rog" and other TLD typos.
>
> If ICANN had half a brain, they would do this and collect some revenue,
> given the proportion of root server traffic that is looking for a domain
> which does not exist in the ICANN root zone.

  Well John, I believe that Karl and Andy's brain works pretty well.
However the remaining folks on the ICANN BoD and staff are
a different matter entirely.  >:) <chuckel>  But I disagree with your
humorous suggestion if it was intended to be a serious one.  I disagree
basically because it would seem that with .Museum they were unable
to make their use of Wild Cards to be financially advantageous...
Why than would doing so again have a chance of being more
successful should ICANN attempt to effect such?

    Pierre Abelard
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801