Re: [ga] Verisign to revive redirect service

  • To: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Verisign to revive redirect service
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 23:48:07 -0700
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Paul Twomey <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, "Louis (Toot Toot) Touton" <touton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Karl and all former DNSO GA members or other interested stakeholders/users,

Karl Auerbach wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Andy Gardner wrote:
>
> > > VeriSign will give a 30- to 60-day notice before resuming a
> > > controversial and temporarily suspended feature that redirected
> > > many .com and .net domains, company representatives said Wednesday.
> > >
> > Is there anything to stop the root server operators from just DELETING
> > the wildcard entry out of the zone files provided by Verisign?
>
> There is much to stop the root server operators from doing that.  The
> reason is that the wildcard setting is in the .com zone, not in the root
> zone.
>
> So the machines that are doing wildcarding are things like the
> ?.gtld-servers.net.
>
> (Did you see my blog entry where I pointed out that one of ICANN's TLD
> server machines is doing *.<TLD> wildcarding for .museum.  I can imagine
> Verisign's attorneys grinning from ear to ear in anticipation of telling a
> court that ICANN is running its own TLD wildcard at the same time that
> ICANN is demanding that Verisign shut down the .com wildcard.)

  Well I was aware of this some time ago from ICANN.  And of course
ICANN empty threat of suing Verisign was just that, and empty threat
in order to look good publicly.  But we have seen these sorts of antics
before, haven't we?  And not doubt we will see such ICANN antics
again.

>                 --karl--

    Pierre Abelard
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801