[ga] Open Standard Day

<http://europa.eu.int/rapid/start/cgi/guesten.ksh?p_action.gettxt=gt&doc=IP/03/1374|0|RAPID&lg=EN&display=>World<http://europa.eu.int/rapid/start/cgi/guesten.ksh?p_action.gettxt=gt&doc=IP/03/1374|0|RAPID&lg=EN&display=> Standards Day, 14 October: Global standards for the Global Information Society

World Standards Day on 14 October will focus on the role of Standards for the Information Society. Information and Communication Technology (ICT) standards have a direct bearing on almost all aspects of our life: business and commerce, finance and banking, healthcare and education, transport and tourism, and public administration. This year's World Standards Day will also pave the way to an EU-US dialogue on ICT standards to exchange early warnings on potential technical barriers to global solutions for the Information Society. Europe's contribution to this dialogue include a recognition of the importance of open standards in order to stimulate competitive innovation in ICT goods and services worldwide. The UN World Summit on the Information Society to be held in December 2003 in Geneva, is also expected to recognise the importance of open and international standards, in line with the European approach.

---

Too bad that binary "IC".

If they said Information (connection to knowledge) Communications (telecom network) _and_ Services (support of the relation continuum)... if they just changed "direct bearing on" into "participate in"... they would respond to the latent demand for telematics the WSIS starts uncovering. Good and Services are not onty datacom and telecom goods and services : they are goods puchased by e-commerce and services delivered through the net. Upper layers - over OSI.

To qualify standards. From experience I am afraid of the use of the confusing "global" word. But I welcome back to the word "open" - better than "free" IMHO.

jfc