Re: [ga] VeriSign fends off critics at ICANN confab and ALAC's ligitimacy

Don and all former DNSO GA members or other interested stakeholders/users,

Don Brown wrote:

> Joop,
>
> I can't state it more simply, but I do not desire to offend you - You
> just do not understand.
>
> The Internet was born out of a U.S. defense initiative. Don't hold
> your breath for the Congress, Senate, Executive or Judicial branch of
> the U.S. government to donate it to to the world. It's not going to
> happen. That's the reality of it.
>
> Besides, why should they - what margin is in it for them?  Making
> non-US citizens pleased is not on their agenda.

  One of the very large "Margins" is international trade, Don.

> With that said, you can be instrumental in making a positive change.
> We all know that ICANN is dysfunctional and fully controlled by the
> insider cliche.  We can all write to members of Congress and to
> Senators to show our disdain.  The number of similar letters from U.S.
> and non-U.S. citizens should get some attention.

  This is one of several approaches that can, should, and is being
done.  It is however not going to be good enough as an approach
by itself.  Several approaches must be taken at the same time.
One is gaining more visibility via the press, both internet and
traditional.  I have done a little of this myself, as some here
are aware.  Another is to take a legal action approach at the
same time, which has been done successfully by Karl Auerbach
and many other Domain Name holders, including several of
our INEGroup members.  Yet another is via directing concerns
and complaints that are well supported to the FCC, FTC and
DOC/NTIA executive branch of the USG.  Finally for non-US
citizens, they can direct their efforts in a similar fashion through
their government representatives and/or trade/commerce
organizations as well as using their personal financial resources
jointly to lobby the US government appreciate agencies.  This
also has borne some fruit, but far from enough as too little of
it has been done.

  SO instead of spending very much time and effort on this
forum bitching, it is long past time, as I have said many times before,
to get busy and start doing the heavy lifting, burning up shoe leather,
and running up you phone bill as well as credit card...

> That is our shot -- to make things right.  I don't know of any better
> way to slay the dragon, do you?

  See my remarks above..

> Thanks,
>
> Saturday, October 11, 2003, 7:02:30 PM, Joop Teernstra <terastra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> JT> At 02:01 a.m. 12/10/2003, Don Brown wrote:
> >>Joop,
> >>
> >>The Internet was born out of a US defense initiative and its current,
> >>dysfunctional governance is based in the US, etc. However, the term,
> >>Internet Community, as I've used it, is all inclusive.
>
> JT> and herein lies the problem or the contradiction. Do you senator's
> JT> secretaries have a way of sorting email input into a file "US citizens and
> JT> residents" and "others"?
>
> JT> If they don't, do you think your senator's constituents would appreciate
> JT> him to pay attention to a flood of input about ICANN from, say,  African,
> JT> Brazilian or Chinese .com  domain name holders?
>
> JT> How are US politico's going to judge what is representative opinion?
>
> JT> We may agree about ICANN, but the US legislature is only a stopgap solution.
>
> JT> Long term, if they do not want to give up Name and Number governance to a
> JT> UN bureaucracy, the internet users worldwide have to create their own
> JT> unique form of representative legislature.
>
> JT> This uphill work has started with the icannatlarge.  It may take 5 years or
> JT> more to get it recognized and respected.
>
> JT> -joop-
>
> ----
> Don Brown - Dallas, Texas USA     Internet Concepts, Inc.
> donbrown_l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx         http://www.inetconcepts.net
> PGP Key ID: 04C99A55              (972) 788-2364  Fax: (972) 788-5049
> Providing Internet Solutions Worldwide - An eDataWeb Affiliate
> ----

    Pierre Abelard
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801