[ga] Re: ALAC now accepting applications <--- is misleading...

  • To: forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, committee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Nancy J. Victory" <nvictory@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Re: ALAC now accepting applications <--- is misleading...
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 19:57:37 -0700
  • Cc: Esther Dyson <edyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, denise michel <denisemichel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Denise Michel <coordinator@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Esther, Denise and all,

  This announcement is misleading at best, as there is NO means by
which individual Stakeholders/users can participate or "Join"
the ALAC. As such the ALAC cannot reasonably be representative
of what  it purports to.

alac-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> If you (or a group you are involved with) want to influence decisions that
> shape the Internet, apply to be designated an "At-Large Structure" and
> participate in ICANN decisions critical to the Internet's end users.
>
> ICANN's Interim At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) is now accepting
> applications from existing or new groups that involve (or want to involve)
> individuals in Internet issues.  Go to <http://alac.icann.org/> for more
> information.
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
>
> A new mechanism for individual Internet users participation in ICANN (the
> Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) has been launched for
> people who want to be involved in issues that affect individuals use of the
> Internet's domain name system. ICANN is involved in shaping the Internet and
> is dealing with issues such as privacy protections for your personal domain
> registration information (called the WHOIS database), the implementation of
> internationalized domain names (use of non-ASCII characters), trade mark and
> domain name disputes and related matters, and how new top-level domains
> (i.e. .info, .name, .museum, etc.) are introduced. These are but a few ICANN
> issues on which the end-users voice needs to be heard.
>
> Groups throughout the world that deal with individual Internet users'
> interests are encouraged to register and participate in ICANN by submitting
> a simple application form (included below and posted at
> <http://alac.icann.org/correspondence/structures-app.htm#Application>).
> Groups that meet the minimum requirements will be designated as "At-Large
> Structures."
>
> The ALAC is an Advisory Committee to ICANN's Board charged with providing
> advice on activities of ICANN that relate to the interests of individual
> Internet users, and helping to organize At-Large groups throughout the world
> for structured involvement and informed participation of the individual
> Internet user community.
>
> ** WHY BECOME AN AT-LARGE STRUCTURE?
>
> By being designated an At-Large Structure, your group gets:
>
> * A recognized role in forming the policies that affect how individuals' use
> the Internet (ICANN is listening. Make sure your voice is heard!);
> * Quick and easy access to first-hand information on what's happening in
> ICANN and why it matters to end-users;
> * Opportunities to provide your members education on ICANN's work and
> Internet developments;
> * Participation in building your region's At-Large organization (RALO), and
> opportunities to network with other groups in your country and region as
> At-Large grows;
> * Representation in ICANN at the regional and international level, plus your
> group's members will be eligible to serve on important regional and
> international decision-making bodies in ICANN;
> * A free web page and other Internet-based mechanisms to support your
> group's work; and
> [...]

    Pierre Abelard
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801