Re: [ga] ALAC statement on resolution of non-existing domain name s

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 17:59:24 -0400 (EDT), "Michael Froomkin - U.Miami
School of Law" <froomkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I don't think you encourage autocrats to let go of power by letting them
>think that no one cares.   There is not much precedent for this course of
>events.  Rather the reverse.  It is valuable to bear witness, constantly
>and repeatedly, that claims to be a 'Democratic Republic' are false ones.

Speaking personally, I do not claim that at this time ALAC is more
democratic than it actually is - that is, a committee of advisors
appointed partly by the (previous) ICANN Board and partly by ICANN's
NomCom. One of our objectives - possibly the most important - is to
set up a system for bottom-up selection of the committee members, and
the degree of democraticity of this system will depend on the ideas
and actions of those who participate in setting it up.

And, of course, the actual level of influence that the ALAC will have
upon ICANN's actions in the long term still has to be determined:
formally, it is just an advisory committee, but this doesn't mean that
its opinions won't count; time will show.

Finally, I do not think that "no one cares"...
--
vb.                  [Vittorio Bertola - vb [at] bertola.eu.org]<---