Re: "stakeholders" was: Re: [ga] Re: ICANN before the US Senate...

  • To: Joop Teernstra <terastra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: "stakeholders" was: Re: [ga] Re: ICANN before the US Senate...
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 02:23:14 -0700
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Joop, Karl and all former DNSO GA members,

  Joop is yet again mistaken here in part of his comments/declarations
below.

  It is very difficult to adequately identify accurately individual
stakeholders/users as has been evident on this forum and most
especially on the ICANNATLARGE.ORG forum, see:
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-discuss/ for further and gross
details.

Joop Teernstra wrote:

> At 10:02 p.m. 15/08/2003, Roberto Gaetano wrote:
> >  What I would like to avoid is that nothing is done for the people that
> > *now* want to participate (for instance, the domain name registrants),
> > that might have to wait the moment in which we will have a perfect global
> > online democracy. I would like to start by a (maybe partial) solution,
> > but thet is already more inclusive than the current situation, rather
> > than build in abstract.
> >
> >Best regards
> >Roberto
>
> Karl,
>
> I agree here with Roberto.  The best in this case is the enemy of the good.
> Rome was not built in one day either.
>
> It is relatively easy to identify and verify registrant "stakeholders" and
> give them voting rights. They also have clearly identifiable interests.
> Their numbers are big enough to be valid as a representative experiment in
> cyber-democracy.
>
> (perhaps this is the very reason why it is so strongly resisted)
>
> When  the registrants can prove that they can make their democracy work
> satisfactorily, then is the time to look at widening the stakeholder/voter
> group and following the model that brought success.
>
> -joop-

    Pierre Abelard
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801