Re: [ga] Re: ICANN before the US Senate...

Joop and all former DNSO GA members or other interested parties,

Joop Teernstra wrote:

> >>If an existing manager is doing its job, there would be no change.  A
> >>local fight doesn't change the rules.  If a government nationalizes
> >>private industry and takes over businesses, there is little or no choice
> >>since governments may do this whether we like it or not.  At that point,
> >>the "local group" no longer exists and the government prevails.
> >
> >Interesting discussion. What if members of the local Internet community
> >believes the existing ccTLD manager is not doing a good job - and the
> >local government doesn't give a hoot about Internet issues? Where does the
> >community go to air its grievances?
>
> One of the problems is that "members of the local Internet community"
> cannot be quantified in any fair democratic sense. It still needs a
> transparent political process.

  A transparent process, political in nature or not is what the MoU
and White paper was and is all about.  ICANN is supposed to be
more about technical stuartship as Nancy Victory has pointed out
repeatedly than it ever should be about politics.

  Stakeholders/users are tired of the political wrangling and fiddling
while "Rome Burns".  Sure some very few neophytes enjoy the
"Game of politics" mostly because they have not solid technical
background or knowledge base and want to feel included.
However this does not make for good management of the
central aspects of the internet.

> No Body that is "in control" of redelegations can sidestep that issue,
> unless the case is clear-cut enough for a local court-decision.

ccTLD's are now and have been the intellectual property or the
countries it which they were originally assigned to.  To attempt to
change that reality now or in the future is not only unwise for
many already vetted reasons, it is dangerous as well, also for
many already vetted reasons.

> >Also in the case of the number of individuals who were appointed by Postel
> >to run ccTLDs (and there are still a number of them), what happens if one
> >of them gets hit by a bus? Who decides who the new ccTLD manager is?
>
> "the IANA function"
>
> -joop-

    Pierre Abelard
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801