Re: [ga] Paul Twomey: "My goal is to improve responsiveness"

  • To: Richard Henderson <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Paul Twomey: "My goal is to improve responsiveness"
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 22:43:05 -0700
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Richard and all former DNSO GA members,

  DOC/NTIA has always been more than very interested in keeping
ICANN or something like it sense the conception of what has
become "ICANN" or sense 1998 Richard.  You likely should
do a review of the DOC/NTIA  - ICANN history from archives
of comment lists that DOC/NTIA sponsored during that time
frame.

Richard Henderson wrote:

> It was Alan Davidson who really closed in on the key power issue. DoC
> doesn't much like ICANN. DoC, like any boss, wants to keep a certain amount
> of pressure on ICANN (and wants to be "seen" doing that for the
> international audience).
>
> But above all, DoC wants to retain just that "sovereign control by one
> country" that Paul Twomey alludes to... what Nancy Victory terms
> "Stewardship of the DNS".
>
> And Alan Davidson several times reminds DoC that there is an interest in the
> big wide world for a multi-national governmental approach, if ICANN messes
> up.
>
> And *that's* what it's really all about.
>
> DoC is desperate to keep ICANN, because ICANN is USG's method of keeping
> "sovereign control" while giving some semblance of keeping others involved
> in a 'consensual process'.
>
> The last thing DoC wants is for the administration of the DNS to be farmed
> out to a multi-governmental body or the United Nations or anything like
> that. Because that would result in a diminution of control and power.
>
> Alan Davidson well expressed this central pirouette around a point of power.
>
> ICANN, knowing that DoC still *needs* it, recognises that it therefore has
> considerable leeway over minor matters because USG can't allow it to be
> replaced.
>
> Given this symbiotic relationship, it is entirely logical to suspect that
> DoC and ICANN consulted in advance of this hearing about how they would
> 'spin' this relationship, and present it to the public.
>
> If you read the tone of Nancy Victory's statement, it is quite astonishing.
> A year ago she was "going through the motions" of being "threatening" to
> ICANN. Twelve months later, as Nancy prepares to leave DoC, her words to
> ICANN read like a valedictory!
>
> And as for Paul Twomey : his words were stereotypical of the spin and gloss
> that is big on claims but almost laughably constructed to portray an
> appearance of activity that doesn't match what we have watched and awaited.
>
> ICANN can get away with so much, because few people (and USG in particular)
> like any alternative to ICANN.
>
> That is the power-reality of all this.
>
> yrs,
>
> Richard Henderson

    Pierre Abelard
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801