Re: [ga] @xxxxxxxxx

Hi Danny

It seems we both agree on the desirability of obscuring email addresses
in web archives.  The address obscuring algorithm you reference is built
into Mhonarc, and ICANN has been using it for its list archives since at
least November of last year, with no complaints (see, for example,
http://forum.icann.org/reform-comments/general/msg00145.html).

I understand that in some cases the Mhonarc algorithm may be
inconvenient.  For several reasons, however, I don't agree with your
desire to change that algorithm.  While I don't expect to convince you,
I thought I would give some of those reasons:

    1) The address obscuring algorithm is part of Mhonarc.  While it
    would certainly be possible to customize Mhonarc to do something
    else, the long term cost of any customization has to be considered.
    The choice isn't just between two end results, one has to consider
    the effort required to achieve those results, and in the ICANN
    environment it would take some work to do what you suggest.

    2) Use of any algorithm that leaves an easily human decipherable
    address is based on the assumption that address scrapers will remain
    stupid.  That is not at all a good assumption, in my opinion.  The
    Mhonarc algorithm of completly overwriting the address is extremely
    resistant any future developments by spammers.

    3) There is a good privacy argument that we should be very resistant
    to publishing someone's email address without very good reason.  In
    fact, one could argue that the real issue is whether we should go
    back and obscure all the email addresses in old archives.  Had I the
    resources to spare, I'd be more inclined to spend them there.

    4) I believe that you have seriously overstated the magnititude of
    the problem you have identified.  Any person who is a member of a
    list has complete access to all the addresses ever published; the
    primary purpose of the list archives is to provide a record of
    public discussion, not to provide a convenient directory for
    participants email addresses.

    5) And there are essentially trivial workarounds for anyone who really
    feels that their address must be visible in the archives -- they could
    simply use your trick, or give a URL.

As in most things, there are tradeoffs.  In my opinion the tradeoffs in
this case come down very strongly on the side I have described.

Regards
Kent Crispin

--
Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be
Technical Systems Manager, ICANN            lonesome."