[ga] ISC Offers Response Policy Zones For DNS, Really?

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, icann-board@xxxxxxxxx, paul@xxxxxxx, vixie@xxxxxxx, info@xxxxxxxxxxxx, ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] ISC Offers Response Policy Zones For DNS, Really?
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 16:24:29 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

All,

  Really?!!  Seems to me that there has been on a on and off
again a basis this technology for 'cooperating good guys' to
do this for some time. see for instance http://www.dnsstuff.com/
and http://www.dnsstuff.com/domaindoctor as just one such example.
Unfortunately one of Paul Vixies
Domain Names doesn't seem to come up to snuff, see:
http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnsreport?domain=vix.com&format=raw&loadresults=true&token=25e1e96ae86088a90d270c040ed18014
Nor does another ISC.ORG entirely but is better, see:
http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnsreport?domain=isc.org&format=raw&loadresults=true&token=25c1af6afc93828d0f876c0511ea901a

The article
See:https://tech.slashdot.org/story/10/07/30/2031254/ISC-Offers-Response-Policy-Zones-For-DNS

ISC has made the announcement that they have developed a technology
that will allow 'cooperating good guys' to
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20100728_taking_back_the_dns/
provide and consume reputation information about domains names.
The release of the technology, called Response Policy Zones
(DNS RPZ), was announced at DEFCON. Paul Vixie explains: 'Every
day lots of new names are added to the global DNS, and most of
them belong to scammers, spammers, e-criminals, and speculators.
The DNS industry has a lot of highly capable and competitive
registrars and registries who have made it possible to reserve
or create a new name in just seconds, and to create millions of
them per day. ... If your recursive DNS server has a policy
rule which forbids certain domain names from being resolvable, then they
will not resolve. And, it's possible to either create and maintain these
rules locally, or, import them from a reputation provider. ISC is not in
the business of identifying good domains or bad domains. We will not be
publishing any reputation data. But, we do publish technical information
about protocols and formats, and we do publish source code. So our role
in DNS RPZ will be to ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/dnsrpz/isc-tn-2010-1.txt
define 'the spec' whereby cooperating producers and consumers can
exchange reputation data, and to publish a version of BIND that can
subscribe to such reputation data feeds. This means we will create a
market for DNS reputation but we will not participate directly
in that market.

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 294k members/stakeholders and growing,
strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

Information Network Eng.  INEG. INC.
ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402 E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx