Re: [ga] Re: [Registrants-rights] (no subject)

  • To: "ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx >> GA" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Re: [Registrants-rights] (no subject)
  • From: Andy Gardner <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 18:14:06 -0500

It's hugely anti-competitive and anti-comsumer.

A small registrar has no hope of ever competing against the behemoths like
Godaddy register.com and Tucows, because those large registrars claim ownership
of all domains expiring under their control.

They auction off some, they keep others and monetise them (often under an "arms
length" susidiary - see
http://domainnamewire.com/2008/12/03/standard-tactics-llc-how-godaddy-profits-from-expired-domains/
 ) but only the chaff gets returned to the deleted domains pool for the smaller
registrars to pick through.

The USG just sat there and let ICANN create a monster.

Where is the FTC? The California AG?