Re: [ga] RE: GA irrelevant

  • Subject: Re: [ga] RE: GA irrelevant
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 14:19:28 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

<HEAD>
<STYLE>body{font-family:
Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:10pt;font-family:arial,sans-serif;background-color:#ffffff;color:black;}p{margin:0px}</STYLE>

<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18904"></HEAD>
<BODY id=compText>
<STYLE>body{font-family:
Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:10pt;font-family:arial,sans-serif;background-color:#ffffff;color:black;}p{margin:0px}</STYLE>

<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18904">
<P>Eric, Avri, and all,</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp; I am also not much for lotteries.&nbsp; But some, especially in the
EU are. &gt;;)&nbsp; Further</P>
<P>the fact that the GA still exists is in and of itself a miracle, so Avri is
right in</P>
<P>assuming such events occur and have in the case of the GA.&nbsp; </P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp; As to the notion of the GA being rational, I can only say that what
is and what </P>
<P>is not rational is a matter of opinion to some degree or another.&nbsp; If
indeed there are those</P>
<P>that are of the belief that the GA as a group are not rational by in large,
I would</P>
<P>disagree.&nbsp; But I would agree that there have been less than rational
suggestions</P>
<P>expressed by GA members from time to time.&nbsp; I am sure many would say
that</P>
<P>the GNSO and other constituencies have had, and still do occasionally
have,</P>
<P>less than rational suggestions or recomendations as well.&nbsp; Such is
life...</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp; So what did we solve here in this discussion that has not already
been</P>
<P>known or solved/recognized?&nbsp; My answer is that the gist of this
discussion</P>
<P>is mostly based on entrenched attitudes that have been hashed many times</P>
<P>before but still remain in the minds of some as extant.&nbsp; Let's move
on,&nbsp;I say.<BR>Simply holdong the same attitudes/beliefs rarely moves
anything forward...</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp; Fully re-recognizing/reinstating the GA as a GNSO body moves things
forward, </P>
<P>and does so in a positive and rational&nbsp;manner...<BR><BR></P>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px;
MARGIN-LEFT: 0px">-----Original Message----- <BR>From: Hugh Dierker
<HDIERKER2204@xxxxxxxxx><BR>Sent: May 27, 2010 7:50 PM <BR>To: GNSO GA Mailing
List <GA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Avri Doria <AVRI@xxxxxxx><BR>Subject: Re: [ga] RE: GA
irrelevant <BR><BR>
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0>
<TBODY>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top>I think that we should plug away and remain. I have known many
here for over a decade. &nbsp;When an issue presents itself that folks want to
rally behind they will and our existing dormant&nbsp;protocol&nbsp;will be
ready. Usually miracles come in the form or response to a critical mass crisis,
not simply for the lottery.<BR><BR>--- On <B>Wed, 5/26/10, Avri Doria
<I>&lt;avri@xxxxxxx&gt;</I></B> wrote:<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="BORDER-LEFT: rgb(16,16,255) 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px;
MARGIN-LEFT: 5px"><BR>From: Avri Doria &lt;avri@xxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Subject: Re:
[ga] RE: GA irrelevant<BR>To: "GNSO GA Mailing List"
&lt;ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Date: Wednesday, May 26, 2010, 5:25 AM<BR><BR>
<DIV class=plainMail><BR>Hi,<BR><BR>As always, you are asking for the
miracle.&nbsp; And I think that is good.<BR><BR>I see the miracle as coming in
two flavors:<BR><BR>1. The GA actually organizes itself into a rational and
functional group, one that has a structure and can actually produce coherent
comments on the issues in ICANN.&nbsp; Such a group would make its own niche
and if it really proved its worth it could eventually get a seat at the
table.&nbsp; I certainly don't think this group in its current form deserves
any seats anywhere.&nbsp; But maybe with work and a miracle&nbsp; it
could.<BR><BR>2. If the GNSO was reorganized to include a fifth stakeholder
group - individual registrants.<BR><BR>Then again, does the GA want to only
comment on GNSO issues?&nbsp; Hasn't the field of interest grown beyond just
the gTLD topics?&nbsp; does anyone care about the treatment of ccTLD
registrants?&nbsp; does this group have opinions on global omnibus DNS-certs
being created in ICANN?&nbsp; is the GA concerned about IDN and especially
synchronized IDNs whether they be G of cc or ...?&nbsp; what about the campaign
to force people to evangelize IPv6? AOC and comments for the review
teams?<BR><BR>If GA is going to work toward a miracle, it might be better off
orienting itself toward becoming a real rational functional force in
itself.&nbsp; It could happen, miracles do happen.<BR><BR>a.<BR><BR><BR>On 26
May 2010, at 04:52, Karl Auerbach wrote:<BR><BR>&gt; On 05/25/2010 09:19 PM,
Avri Doria wrote:<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;&gt; Non commercial registrants don't need a
miracle.&nbsp; The Noncommercial<BR>&gt;&gt; Stakeholder Group (NCSG) already
allows for individual noncommercial<BR>&gt;&gt; registrants to apply for
membership.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; It's easy to box those legal fictions known as
"corporations" and "associations" and "partnerships" into commercial (or not)
boxes - that's because their formation and legal existence is premised on their
engagement in economic activities.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; But human registrants don't
fit nicely into the "commercial" and "non-commercial" buckets.&nbsp; We people
simultaneously bathe in the stream of commerce and the stream of non-commercial
life.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; It's rather Procrustean to cut and stretch us in order
to fit us onto ICANN's "non-commercial" iron bed.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; For example,
my "cavebear.com" is used by me for both commercial and non-commercial
purposes.&nbsp; I am just as much at home in ICANN's commercial groups as in
the non-commercial ones.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; And one's activities may change their
color over time - for instance things like Google started out as non-commercial
experiments by individual people.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; (By-the-way, I agree with
Roberto that the burden of moving forward is on the aspirants to form the new
group.&nbsp; I was just suggesting that ICANN's board give a nod of
encouragement.)<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; --karl--<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;
<BR><BR><BR></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>Jeffrey
 A. Williams<BR>Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 300+k members/stakeholders
and growing, strong!)<BR>"Obedience of the law is the greatest freedom"
-<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; Abraham Lincoln<BR><BR>"Credit should go with the performance
of duty and not with what is very<BR>often the accident of glory" - Theodore
Roosevelt<BR><BR>"If the probability be called P; the injury, L; and the
burden, B; liability<BR>depends upon whether B is less than L multiplied
by<BR>P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."<BR>United States v. Carroll
Towing&nbsp; (159 F.2d 169 [2d Cir.
 1/26/04<BR>CSO/DIR. Internet Network Eng. SR. Eng. Network data security IDNS.
div. of<BR>Information Network Eng.&nbsp; INEG. INC.<BR>ABA member in good
standing member ID 01257402 E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<BR>Phone:
214-244-4827<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY>