Re: [ga] Rod Beckstrom TM application

  • Subject: Re: [ga] Rod Beckstrom TM application
  • From: Antony Van Couvering <avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 02:15:44 -0800

Hi George,

If it's just between you and me, why copy it to the list?

You have to have a special sense of humor not to miss the laugh value in a
trademark registration of Bullshitter's Anonymous.

I don't think it advocates bullshitting as a "foundation for life."  It's a
clear reference to a 12-step program for chronic bullshitters.  Analogs are
Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous, etc. etc.  Do you find that people
often have to explain jokes to you?

As for Beckstrom, I like him.  I like his style, I like his smarts, I like that
he can see over and beyond the little world that is ICANN.  I have hopes for
him.   I especially like his speech to the CSIS recently. It's the best
survey/intro to ICANN I've heard.
http://csis.org/multimedia/video-icann-and-internet-ecosystem

You ask, "Why didn't you slam Twomey when he was in power?"

When ICANN does something I think is good, I like to say something positive.
When the opposite is true, I say that too. And I have named names when it
seemed merited.  Including slamming Twomey (and Vint Cerf) when they were in
power.  I would have liked to praise them, but sometimes they really sucked:

http://www.namesatwork.com/blog/2006/11/26/the-internet-is-made-out-of-bricks-not-tubes

http://www.namesatwork.com/blog/2008/06/08/icann-constituencies-bad-idea-whose-time-has-gone
http://www.namesatwork.com/blog/2008/04/02/domain-name-price-jump-moores-law-or-parkinsons-laws
http://www.namesatwork.com/blog/2006/03/18/icanns-pillow-principle.

By the way, keep up the good work finding all the criminal activities of the
straight-faced corporations who drone on about the horrors of cybersquatting. I
was sorry you turned the task over to ICANN staff instead of continuing
yourself -- you're much better at it than they are.  I couldn't find that
comment again, though I searched for it -- could you post the URL? It's really
very funny, I'd like to read it again.

Best regards,

Antony