Re: [ga] New Registrar Agreement Covers Most Registrations

  • To: Accountability Headquarters <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] New Registrar Agreement Covers Most Registrations
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 06:43:17 -0800 (PST)

Maybe it's just me, but lately the ICANN Announcements seem as if they've been
written by a former commissar -- they all seem to have this "it's a glorious
day, comrades" literary style.

In this particular announcement we aren't told that 35% of accredited
registrars still haven't signed on to the new RAA agreement -- instead we're
told that 88% of gTLD registrations are covered.

We aren't told that a Registrant Rights & Responsibilities document doesn't
actually exist yet; instead we're told that we have new protections.

We aren't told that registrars have put into place a loophole that allows them
to evade their escrow responsibilities when it comes to proxy registrations;
instead we're told of "enhanced" data escrow requirements.

We aren't told that registrars rejected almost every single amendment proposed
by anyone other than their own constituency; instead we're told that registrars
and the ICANN community successfully collaborated to make sure consumers are
well protected.

Perhaps just once in a while ICANN could try some honesty.