[ga] ICANN 2009 Nominating Committee Selectees

  • To: "ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] ICANN 2009 Nominating Committee Selectees
  • From: Glen de Saint Géry <Glen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 03:11:31 -0700

http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-28aug09-en.htm
ICANN 2009 Nominating Committee Selectees

The 2009 ICANN Nominating Committee (NomCom) has completed its selections for
nine leadership positions within ICANN.

NomCom Chair, Tricia Drakes, said "We are delighted to announce this year's
selectees to ICANN's leadership. They include highly accomplished individuals
from Russia, India, Malaysia, Jamaica, Argentina, Chile and the United States.
The Committee's hard work has given us a result that we believe balances
continuity and diversity, and includes the selection of the youngest ever
member to serve on the ICANN Board. We have added some new faces to the mix,
but I hope the community will agree that there is a real depth of experience as
well."

The NomCom is charged with recruiting and selecting a portion of ICANN's
community leadership. NomCom works to make sure that, overall, ICANN's
leadership is diverse in geography, culture, skills, experience, and
perspective. The basic criteria are that nominees are people of integrity,
objectivity and judgment, can help group decision-making, can work effectively
through English, have an understanding of ICANN's mission and work, are
committed to its success, contribute to cultural, professional and geographic
expertise, and can work long and hard as volunteers working in the global
public trust.

The NomCom evaluated over eighty candidates, many of whom were unusually
strong, against key criteria set out in the ICANN Bylaws. The Committee also
wanted to include some of those with skills, expertise and experience in some
of the important new areas where ICANN may face challenges throughout the
organization over the next few years, including IDNs (internationalized domain
names). The Committee took very seriously the evolving and increasing
importance of independent Board directors, and in so doing found itself unable
to appoint to the Board some very experienced applicants whom it might
otherwise have wished to do so.

ICANN Board of Directors

Rajasekar Ramaraj, India (2nd term)

Gonzalo Navarro, Chile

George Sadowsky, United States

ALAC

James Seng, Malaysian citizen residing in China

Carlton Samuels, Jamaica

Dave Kissoondoyal, Mauritius

GNSO Council

Olga Cavalli, Argentina (2nd term)

Andrey Kolesnikov, Russian Federation

ccNSO Council

J. Beckwith Burr (Becky), United States (2nd term)

The biographies of the Nominees are reproduced below. The nominees will take up
their positions at the end of ICANN's Annual Meeting in Seoul, Korea on 30
October 2009.

This year's Nominating Committee received 86 Statements of Interest from
candidates worldwide during its open nomination period from 2 December 2008 to
15 April 2009. 71 of the 2009 candidates were men and 15 are women. The
regional breakdown of this year's candidates was:

* 10 from Africa,
* 24 from Asia/Australia/Pacific
* 23 from Europe
* 12 from Latin America/Caribbean.