Re: [ga] Wherefore art thou www.pir.org

  • To: Jeremy Hitchcock <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Wherefore art thou www.pir.org
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 14:51:51 -0700

Jeremy and all,

  Although i prefer to refrain from giving educational instruction
via Email, I'll make this exception in hopes that you Jeremy
will hopefully benefit.

  First, RFC are not standards, they are Requests for Comment,
hence "RFC". Few RFC have become IETF standards and some
are on a standards track for long periods of time. Second, RFC 822,
4408 and 2822 would be partly relevant here as to my remarks.  Also see:
http://private.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=pir.org&token=2370362b643846b40182519e26a1f019
for PIR.ORG as to their DNSreport and the report that the FTC and
the GAO considers the only relevant report of substance and
reasonable/very good accuracy.

  So again failure to have a SPF record specified is a definite No-no,
and therefore PIR.ORG is operating it's Domain Name in less than
a reasonably responsible manner to this extent at least.

  Further it is evident that PIR.ORG is errant in it's DNS config to the
extent that it is not fully compliant with RFC 1123 section 5.2.17 which
would indicate that PIR.ORG doesn't desire to receive complaints via E-mail
from people reporting problems with their mail server.  Very disturbing
indeed!

  I hope this helps or has been sufficiently helpful and adequately,
but briefly, educational and/or instructional.

  And Jeremy, please be so kind as to do your own homework
before asking questions, especially one that was so vague and
basic in nature.  And it would be best to ask such questions
off list next time also.  Thank you in advance for your future
cooperation, accordingly.  >:)

Jeremy Hitchcock wrote:

> > which shows that Aflias is hosting and that there is no SPF record
> > specified, definate no-no.
> > Whois:
> > http://private.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=pir.org&server=&email=on&token=26a07e4d24ed4e810c914895065a1019
>
> What requirement is there for having an SPF record?  Is there a standards RFC
> that you can point to?  Even if it was necessary, why is Afilias responsible
> for the content of PIR's zone data?
>
> Jeremy
>
> --
> Jeremy Hitchcock
> jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxx
> http://dynamicnetworkservices.com/
> Dynamic Network Services, Inc.
> P: +1.603.296.1554    C: +1.603.391.4494

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 284k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln
"YES WE CAN!"  Barack ( Berry ) Obama

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827