[ga] approval of Ombudsman?

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] approval of Ombudsman?
  • From: "Edward Hasbrouck" <edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 08:08:26 -0800

A mysterious item has appeared on the Board meeting page in the agenda for
the 6 March 2009 Board meeting in Mexico City: "Approval of Ombudsman".

I suspect this means that ICANN has finally noticed from my recent
comments on the abolition of the Reconsideration Committee that they have
never appointed an Ombudsman, and have thus been in violation of their
Bylaws. I don't know why they have finally noticed or decided to act.

There is no formal proposal yet posted for the appointment of an
Ombudsman. It will be interesting to see how ICANN tries to explain why it
is only now, years late, appointing an Ombudsman, whether it allows public
comment on the proposed choice of an Ombudsman -- or why the person who
has been acting as Ombudsman paid so little attention to the Bylaws or
precedural due process that he didn't notice that he was required to be
appointed by vote of the Board.

In any event, since the (illegal) "incumbent" is clearly unqualified, it's
apparently now time for the community, or would-be candidates themselves,
to put forward nominations for the position of ICANN Ombudsman -- if you
can figure out the correct point of contact for such nominations.

I pointed out the failure to have a properly appointed Ombudsman in 2007
on this GA list, and in other comments to ICANN: