RE: [ga] New gTLD Applicant Guidebook Version 2

  • To: "George Kirikos" <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] New gTLD Applicant Guidebook Version 2
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 21:19:20 -0500

George,

This is my own personal post and not an official NeuStar position.

Your assertions are incredibly far-fetched especially when it relates to
the Abuse Policy.  In case you did not know, NeuStar has had an abuse
policy since 2006.  See
http://www.icann.org/en/tlds/agreements/biz/appendix-11-08dec06.htm.
Since 2006, we have been affirmatively taking down names (note I did not
say deleting names) where we have verified evidence of phishing,
pharming, malware, etc.  This is nothing new.  We have literally taken
down tens of thousands of .biz names and yet you have not heard a single
word about it.  Why?  Because we take down names that are verified to be
involved in that type of criminal behavior.  We have never had a single
complaint from a registrant.  ICANN has never received a complaint about
what we have been doing.  We have never taken down a legitimate site.
Again, we have been doing this since 2006.  We have saved millions of
consumers from becoming victim to some of the most malicious viruses out
there (some of which have recently been in the news).  Afilias has just
started to do the same thing.  You are so paranoid that we are all out
there to mess with your business, that you fail to recognize the truth
of what is going on.

Let me address another point you raise:  You state: "Furthermore, all
expired domains would effectively be able to be auctioned by the
registry operator (i.e. through setting higher than normal registration
prices, like .tv)."  Let me ask you a question.  How many registrars
actually delete domain names these days?  Almost all names worth any
value at all are kept by the registrar and auctioned off by them (or
some other mechanism taking advantage of the secondary market)?  Can you
give me one example where a registry had actually seized a name for
itself?

But let's assume a registry does want to auction off legitimately
expired domains (which by the way is not something NeuStar has ever, or
is now, proposing).  By legitimately expired domains, I mean ones where
the registrant truly intended its expiration.  Why would this be a
problem?  It is not a registrant's rights issue, since they did not want
it anymore.  Does it make it more difficult or expensive for speculators
and domainers...possibly.  Is it any different than a registrar
auctioning off the name? I am really just curious as to why you think it
is a huge issue.

Again, it is NeuStar's position that it is reasonable to have price caps
on renewals of domain names to protect existing registrants.  It is also
NeuStar's position (and contractual right) that all registries are
treated equitably absent substantial justification.  This is what we
signed up for when we were selected to run .BIZ.  This is our
expectation.  We have never asked for more than this and frankly just as
we have to treat all registrars equitably, I see nothing wrong with
expecting the same of ICANN in their dealings with us.

Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.: NeuStar, Inc.
Vice President, Law & Policy

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for
the use of the recipient(s) named above and may contain confidential
and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you
have received this e-mail message in error and any review,
dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly
notify us immediately and delete the original message.