Re: [ga] RAA Amendments Update

  • To: dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx, icann board <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, ICANN Policy staff <policy-staff@xxxxxxxxx>, "twomey@xxxxxxxxx" <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, Paul Levins <paul.levins@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] RAA Amendments Update
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 18:33:12 -0800

Danny and all,

  Seems to me that it was nearly a given that the GNSO council would
have been against the proposed amendments to the RAA.  It is also
very likely that no provisions that hold registrars accountable for their
errant behavior that have any teeth will ever be approved by the GNSO
council, as that council from it's conception as with the Constituency
model, is improperly represented and as such weighted in favor of
those constituencies that have little interest in acting in a responsible
manner.

  So more of the same...  What's amazing is that there were any
"Negotiations" between the ICANN staff and the Registrars
Constituency at all, as it is after all ICANN's RAA's and
accreditation program, not the Registrars.

Danny Younger wrote:

> The BC's Mike Rodenbaugh has introduced the following motion to the GNSO
> Council; the motion has been seconded by Nominating Committee appointee Terry
> Davis:
>
> Whereas, the RAA has not been amended since inception, and there is
> widespread community support for amendments to various provisions of the
> RAA.
>
> Whereas, the Registrars Constituency and ICANN Staff have agreed on a set of
> proposed amendments to the RAA, and that set of amendments has been
> considered for approval by the GNSO Council.
>
> Whereas, a majority of GNSO Council members have refused to support the set
> of proposed amendments as drafted, but many of those members support many of
> the proposed amendments.
>
> Whereas, the Council wishes to approve the non-contentious, proposed
> amendments agreed between Staff and the Registrars Constituency as quickly
> as possible so that the ICANN Board may review them, and if approved then
> implement them as quickly as possible.
>
> RESOLVED:
>
> The GNSO Council will form a fast-track Working Group to convene and discuss
> the proposed set of RAA Amendments, reporting back to Council within 30 days
> with answers to the following questions:
>
> 1. Which of the proposed amendments have full consensus as drafted?
>
> 2. Which of the proposed amendments would have full consensus if drafted
> differently, and what specific revisions are required to gain full
> consensus?
>
> 3. Which of the proposed amendments do not have consensus?
>
> 4. What other issues with the RAA are not addressed by the proposed set of
> Amendments?

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 284k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln
"YES WE CAN!"  Barack ( Berry ) Obama

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827