Re: [ga] Application Round Opens for Sydney Meeting Fellowships

  • To: fellowships@xxxxxxxxx, ICANN Policy staff <policy-staff@xxxxxxxxx>, GAC Rep <ssene@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, DOC/NTIA ICANN Rep <aheineman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Peter Dengate Thrush <barrister@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "twomey@xxxxxxxxx" <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, Ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Application Round Opens for Sydney Meeting Fellowships
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 07:05:51 -0800

Glen and all,

  Thank you for the follow-on regarding the "Fellowship Program",
but why would anyone want to subject themselves to a set of rules
this program has that they had no input or effect on determining,
and are so restrictive as well as asking folks to provide their
financial status information to become a "Fellow"?  This seems
rather obtuse as well as asking folks to give up their privacy rights
in order to become a member.  Sorry by I don't find that to be
reasonable or ethical.  Sorry to be so curt, but I don't find loyalty
oaths to corp entities, and personal financial disclosure reasonable
criterion.  In fact I object to this fellowship program all together...

  My only oath is the the United States of America, and to uphold
the laws, and to defend her against all enemies foreign or domestic.
The ICANN Fellowship program would essentially require me to
violate that oath.  NO SALE!

Glen de Saint Géry wrote:

> [To: council[at]gnso.icann.org; liaison6c[at]gnso.icann.org]
> [To: ga[at]gnso.icann.org; announce[at]gnso.icann.org]
> [To: regional-liaisons[at]icann.org]
>
> http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-27jan09-en.htm
> Application Round Opens for Sydney Meeting Fellowships
>
> Program ensures global representation at ICANN's International Public Meetings

> MARINA DEL REY, Calif.: The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and
> Numbers has launched the seventh round of fellowship program applications for
> its 35th International Public Meeting to be held in Sydney, Australia from
> 21-26 June 2009.
>
> "Just like the Internet, ICANN is global in scope in its operations," said
> Theresa Swinehart , ICANN's Vice President, Global and Strategic
> Partnerships. "Our fellowship program has had a lot of success at our last
> five meetings in making sure global voices are heard in the wide variety of
> public forums that it holds."
>
> For the upcoming meeting in Mexico City in March, there are 23 fellows from
> 21 countries, chosen from 105 applications received. There are nine
> fellowship alumni, nine fellows are first-time attendees to an ICANN meeting
> and the remaining five have attended past meetings, but are first time
> fellows.
>
> Priority is given to applicants who are current residents of developing and
> least developed nations and interested in participating in ICANN and its
> supporting organizations, such as the Governmental Advisory Committee, the
> Country Code Names Supporting Organization, and the Generic Names Supporting
> Organization. The fellowship will assist in covering airfare, hotel and a
> stipend. Recipients will be expected to actively participate in and
> contribute to ICANN processes. As always, registration for ICANN's meetings
> is free for anyone wanting to attend.
>
> Applications will be accepted from now until 1200 PDT ( UTC -7) on 9 March
> 2009. More information, as well as a link to the application for a
> fellowship, is available online at: http://www.icann.org/fellowships/
>
> Glen de Saint Géry
> GNSO Secretariat
> gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://gnso.icann.org

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 284k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln
"YES WE CAN!"  Barack ( Berry ) Obama

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827