Re: [ga] Can someone explain how ICANN spends $1 million/yr+ on telephone costs?

  • To: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>, DOC/NTIA ICANN Rep <aheineman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, GAC Rep <ssene@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Whitehouse <Comments@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Can someone explain how ICANN spends $1 million/yr+ on telephone costs?
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 21:26:39 -0800

George and all,

 Here here George!

  As a matter of fact, and a matter of comparison, we spent less than
3 cents/min. on average for all of our calls as a bonus on volume.  No
local long distance charges what so ever.  So whomever is the provider
or providers for voice communications to ICANN, they definitely saw
a sucker coming it appears to me.  I don't see how they could be so
financially foolish or have been obviously guilty in this instance of
financial malfeasance.  It's also clear that Roberto doesn't take this
situation as serious as he should.  That alone should raise so red
flags at a minimum.  Such a flippant response by Roberto, is far less
than normal or reasonable.  Perhaps DOC/NTIA should consider
a claw back of Roberto's and other ICANN staff and Bod members
salary in order to offset this obvious exorbitant expense?  If I were
making that call, this would definately be a serious consideration, if
not acctually pursued with all due haste and vigor.

George Kirikos wrote:

> Hi Roberto,
>
> --- On Wed, 2/4/09, Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > As far as I know the telephone costs include the costs of
> > all
> > teleconferences for all ICANN bodies (Board, Board
> > committees, working
> > groups, SOs, ALAC, RALOs, etc.)
> > Before we start arguing about skype and other means
> > available in the
> > developed countries, let's remind that these calls have
> > to be joined by
> > folks who are all over the world.
>
> Thanks for replying. It still sounds like a lot of money to me, given that if
> one does a search in Google for "conference calls", there are a lot of
> providers out there willing to do it for 4 cents/minute per user or less (and
> one can probably negotiate it to be less given the scale at which ICANN is
> spending, presumably six figures). Of course non-US or non-Euro calls might
> be a bit higher, but if one combines VOIP with purchases of DID forwarding
> numbers in certain countries, the costs have really been going down over the
> past few years. And if it could be 4 cents/minute for 95% of users, and the
> other 5% get subsidized calls (send them a calling card or something). Tender
> things out, and see what happens (I'd be curious to know the current average
> cost per minute per user, for example).
>
> Perhaps create a bounty, let ICANN staff keep 10% of the cost savings as a
> one-time bonus, weighted towards the individual(s) responsible for finding
> the savings or efficiencies. This would provide some incentives to be frugal,
> especially in the current economic climate. Right now, there doesn't seem to
> be any urgency on ICANN's part to find cost savings. They should be trying
> harder, as it's our money they're spending.
>
> As you are likely aware, $4.6 million was lost in the stock market by ICANN:
>
> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20090203_icann_blows_46_million_stock_market/
>
> and ICANN has been paying salaries above what they should be:
>
> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20090105_icann_for_profit_companies_comparables/
>
> I don't care what people do with their own money, but when they're spending
> other people's money they have the highest duty to ensure that those funds
> are spent wisely, down to the last penny.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> George Kirikos
> http://www.leap.com/

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 284k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln
"YES WE CAN!"  Barack ( Berry ) Obama

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827