[ga] South Carolina Seeking To Outlaw Profanity

  • To: Ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, icann board <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, ICANN Policy staff <policy-staff@xxxxxxxxx>, "twomey@xxxxxxxxx" <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, ltgov@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] South Carolina Seeking To Outlaw Profanity
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 01:25:45 -0800

All,

  Ok seems like we now have one American state, South Carolina,
that has taken the censorship thing a bit too far...  I also wonder are
the words "lude", "lascivious", and "Vulgar" profanity?  Hummmm?
Further I wonder what states have resaprosity with South Carolina?
Hows this going to work with some .COM, .INFO, .ORG, and
especially .EDU domain names?  How are ISP's going to be able
to handle this, if at all?  For that matter how are ICANN registrars
and registries going to handle this vis a vi Domain names? And
wouldn't such a law if prosecuted make ICANN a suspected
co-conspiritor, or accessory after/before the fact?  How
many dictonaries in South Carolina are now going to need to
be burned?

See:
It looks like in an act that defies common sense, a bill has been
introduced in the South Carolina State Senate that seeks to
http://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess118_2009-2010/bills/56.htm outlaw
the use of profanity. According to the bill it would become a
felony (punishable by a fine up to $5000 or up to 5 years in prison) to
"publish orally or in writing, exhibit, or otherwise make available
material containing words, language, or actions of a profane, vulgar,
lewd, lascivious, or indecent nature". I'm not sure if "in writing"
could be applied to the internet, but in any event this is scary stuff.

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 284k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln
"YES WE CAN!"  Barack ( Berry ) Obama

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827