RE: [ga] ICANN's Fellowship Program

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Karl E. Peters" <tlda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] ICANN's Fellowship Program
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 12:59:00 -0800 (PST)

Hi Karl,

The fellowship program is only an issue because ICANN has been insisting that
it didn't have enough monies to fund GNSO Council member travel expenses.  GNSO
members and other SO members have to put up with a Travel Policy that only
provides funding for half of the folk that are doing the lion's share of the
policy work.

So while half of the GNSO Council gets no bucks whatsoever, ICANN freely gives
away funding for at least 23 others to travel on the fellowship program, and
the fellowship recipients overall contribution to dialogue and the ongoing
exchange of ideas has been minimal at best.  Keep in mind that ICANN similarly
wastes a large chunk of cash on the non-performing ALAC.

George is right to question ICANN fiscal policies.  At the end of the day what
we all are looking for is an organization that does right by its worker bees
(the volunteers that actually craft workable solutions to our ongoing
problems).  We aren't there yet.