[ga] [Fwd: Re: [At-Large] [NA-Discuss] Latest RAA amendment]

  • To: Ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] [Fwd: Re: [At-Large] [NA-Discuss] Latest RAA amendment]
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 19:00:06 -0800

Subject: Re: [At-Large] [NA-Discuss] Latest RAA amendment
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 03:23:54 -0800
From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: At-Large Worldwide <at-large@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,Derek Smythe
<shahshah@xxxxxxxx>,Sivasubramanian Muthusamy
<isolatedn@xxxxxxxxx>,Sylvia Caras <sylvia.caras@xxxxxxxxx>,"Sébastien
Bachollet" <sebastien.bachollet@xxxxxxx>,Veni Markovski <veni@xxxxxxxx>,
Wendy Seltzer <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>,Wim Vandevelde
<wim-vandevelde@xxxxxxx>,Wolfgang
<wolfgang.kleinwaechter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,WWWhatsup
<joly@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, YJ Park <yjpark21@xxxxxxxxx>

Derek and all,

  It doesn't matter as a matter of law if you, Danny or anyone
else agrees with Danny or not.  You don't have a right of any sort,
as much as I dislike that reality myself.  Registrants have a choice
of Registrars, and registrars are bound by contract ( in this case
the RAA contracts ) to abide by all the terms of that/those contracts
and are under no obligation at present to provide you or any other
registrant with the information you would like to have, even though
it would be more honest and above board for them to do so.

  ICANN's legal eagle's created the terms of the RAA contracts long
ago now, and even though than there was much disagreement with
many of the terms of those contracts than as there is now, the ICANN
Board voted in favor of the RAA contracts as they currently stand, and
DOC/NTIA did not override as was their right to do if they felt there
was a need to do so.  They obviously did not.

  Now as we all know or should know, ICANN has accredited these
registrars of which some, if not many are misbehaving horribly, and
so far largely have been getting away with such errant behavior for
years now.  But as ICANN has the oversight authority for THEIR
Registrars and Registries, it is THEIR responsibility/job to take
whatever
appropriate action to correct those bad behaviors that they are willing
and able to do.  So far ICANN has been unable to reasonably do so
on a broad scale and effectively enough in accordance with a significant
number of Registrants opinion.  Than corrective action should fall to
DOC/NTIA.  This also seems to either not have happened, or has
been so inadequately handled that some if not many, but at least too
many registrants have been cheated, by either hook or crook, as it
were, with no reasonable or fair recourse.  This should not indeed
stand.

  So the actual question before every registrant that cares, should be
should ICANN itself still be in charge here, or perhaps some other
body?  Some have suggested a International body, but that solution
has met with significant criticism as no such body is either qualified
or is trusted enough.  Ergo what is left is to reform ICANN, and
inparticular to start with amending the RAA's appropriately.  What
is and what is not appropriate is where the rub still remains.

  To amend the RAA contracts as Danny and Derek are suggesting
to the degree they are suggesting is dangerous on a number of levels,
all of which have been discussed and debated to near death with no
plural agreement.  But to suggest that Registrants have superior rights
to Registrars or registries, is of course not historically legally
supported,
as means of legal service are still available and lacking any other
reason,
no good reason otherwise can be properly or legitimately articulated.